Mr. Fletcher represents corporate clients as lead counsel in complex and high-stakes litigation involving commercial, tort or professional matters. He provides strategic advice and counseling on management decisions affecting his clients’ litigation defense and helps clients navigate through difficult litigation and business matters.
Mr. Fletcher’s clients include government contractors, law firms, accountants, technology companies, insurance companies, medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, title companies, appraisers, medical billing companies, biotechnology companies, product manufacturers, investment companies, retailers, and state and federal government entities.
Mr. Fletcher protects these companies and individuals, or pursues claims on their behalf, in a wide variety of cases in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and nationwide in federal district courts and appellate courts, state courts, and in arbitrations and mediations. He has won cases or favorable settlements as trial counsel for clients in disputes involving mass disaster torts, the False Claims Act, shareholder disputes and derivative actions, patents, IT contracts, professional liability and malpractice claims, securities, and government contractor disputes. His recent intellectual property cases have involved generic pharmaceuticals, medical devices, industrial monitoring systems, mobile tactical local area networks, and computer diagnostic systems, among others. Throughout his career, Mr. Fletcher has worked extensively with expert witnesses in multiple matters and disciplines.
Mr. Fletcher has recently represented clients in the following matters:
- Defense of multiparty shareholder derivative action challenging stock options in Delaware Chancery Court, resulting in negotiated buyout of dissident shareholders
- Defense of investment company and its principals in SEC investigation on collateralized mortgage obligations
- Defense of False Claims Act allegations in multiple cases for a government contractor, a medical billing company and a national office supply distributor, resulting in two dismissals of all claims and one favorable settlement
- Defense of rail track circuit manufacturer in multimillion-dollar damages claims resulting from multiple fatality Metro train accident
- Prosecution of breach of trade secret action against former president of generic pharmaceutical company resulting in significant settlement payment to company
- Defense of government contractor and its owner in multimillion-dollar breach of employment agreement action by former president
- Retention as an expert witness on reasonable attorney’s fees in defamation action between two physicians in D.C. Superior Court
- Representation of patent holder in infringement action involving industrial monitoring system patents
- Representation of national hospital chain in defense of infringement allegations regarding drug method of use patents
- Representation of surgical device manufacturer in million-dollar breach of license and contract claims against foreign supplier
- Successful prosecution of $16 million of claims and counterclaim defenses in arbitration of hospital information technology outsourcing contract
- Defense of arbitration of attorney’s fee claim against District of Columbia law firm resulting in complete defense verdict
Mr. Fletcher previously represented the FDIC and the Resolution Trust Corporation on a variety of matters, including contract claims, employment disputes, asset sales, professional liability claims involving the directors of a failed savings and loan, and has supervised a series of professional liability investigations involving allegations of insider and contracting fraud. He has also represented a national association of state government agencies on attorney-client and work product discovery disputes and in defense of breach of contract claims.