Tom is a trial lawyer focusing on business litigation, particularly in cases involving construction law, employment law, intellectual property, general commercial law and international law. He heads both the General Counsel Practice and the Construction Law Practice of LeClairRyan. He is listed for both business litigation and construction law in The Best Lawyers in America, an honor bestowed on the top 1% of lawyers as a result of peer surveys, and has been recognized repeatedly by Virginia Business magazine as one of Virginia's "Legal Elite" and Law and Politics magazine as a Virginia "Super Lawyer" for both civil litigation and construction law. In 2010 he was named one of the "Top 50" lawyers in Virginia by Law and Politics magazine. Tom has had many high profile successes in court.
Tom acts as general counsel to a number of companies. He is former President of the International Alliance of Law Firms (www.ialawfirms.com), a network of business-oriented law firms from around the world. Tom is fluent in French and has a working knowledge of Spanish and Italian. He is active in a number of construction-related industry groups.
Tom is a frequent lecturer on construction law, litigation, employment law and international law both in the U.S. and abroad. He is a member of the American Bar Association (Litigation Section, International Law Section and Forum Committee on the Construction Industry). He has served the Virginia State Bar as Chair of both the International Practice Section and the Construction Law and Public Contracts Section.
- LeClairRyan, Richmond, Virginia, 2002 – present
- Mezzullo & McCandlish (now McCandlish Holton), Richmond, Virginia, 1982 – 2001
- McGuire Woods, Richmond, Virginia, 1978 – 1982
- Rhône Poulenc, S.A., Paris, France, 1978
- Imperial Chemical Industries PLC, London, England, 1977
Professional Memberships and Other Affiliations
- Commissioner, Virginia Port Authority, 2007 – present
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce, International Policy Committee
- Member, Governor Kaine's Transition Committee
- Chair, LeClairRyan Diversity Committee
- Member, Old Dominion Bar Association
- Member, Metropolitan Richmond Womens Bar Association
- Board Member: Virginia Poverty Law Center; Greater Richmond Bar Foundation
- Adjunct Professor of Construction Law, T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond 1986 - present
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2013
- Recognized as a Virginia Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine in Business Litigation, 2006–2013; Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers 2013; Top 50 Richmond Super Lawyers 2013
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Commercial Litigation, and Litigation - Construction, 2007–2014
- Recognized in Benchmark Litigation as a "Local Litigation Star" in Virginia, 2014
- Virginia Business magazine's "Legal Elite", Construction Law, 2011–2013
J.D., Order of the Coif, Vanderbilt University School of Law, 1977
B.A., cum laude, Vanderbilt University, 1973