Mr. Matson's practice involves bankruptcy, debt restructuring, and creditors’ rights, generally. More specifically, this practice includes (i) the representation of official committees of unsecured creditors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, (ii) the restructuring of financially distressed companies, including business reorganizations under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code, and (iii) the representation of financial institutions and other lenders in troubled loan workouts and recovery in chapter 11 and other insolvency proceedings. In addition, Mr. Matson serves as a trustee in bankruptcy cases and insolvency proceedings, including Chapter 11 liquidations, SEC receiverships, CFTC receiverships, and state court assignments for benefit creditors. Finally, his practice also includes representation of a wide range of creditors in Chapter 11 and other insolvency matters, including vendors, landlords, and utilities.
Mr. Matson also regularly handles bankruptcy litigation matters involving the prosecution and/or defense of fraudulent conveyance, preference and other avoidance claims, claims relating to the fiduciary and other duties of directors, officers and professionals, lien priority disputes, and complex claim litigation.
Mr. Matson is an adjunct professor and frequently teaches continuing legal education seminars and produces articles on Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, troubled loan workouts, creditors’ rights and bankruptcy. He regularly serves as a member of the panel of bankruptcy trustees for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- LeClairRyan, Richmond, Virginia, 1994 - present
- Hazel & Thomas, Richmond, Virginia, 1990 - 1994
- McGuire, Woods, Battle & Boothe, Richmond, Virginia, 1985 - 1990
- Law Clerk, Honorable Blackwell N. Shelley, 1983-1984
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees, Eastern District of Virginia
- Founding Director, Business Turnaround and Finance Association
- Past-Chairman, Richmond Bar Association Bankruptcy Section
Listed among The Best Lawyers In America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2006–2016
Listed in Virginia Business magazine's "Legal Elite" for Bankruptcy/Creditors’ Rights, 2007–2015
- Recognized by Law & Politics magazine as a Virginia Super Lawyer in Bankruptcy: Business, 2006–2016
- Named "Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers" by Law & Politics magazine, 2013
- Named "Top 50 Richmond Super Lawyers" by Law & Politics magazine, 2013
J.D., College of William & Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, 1983
B.A., College of William & Mary, 1979
Admitted only in: